Please support $1.50 Tobacco Tax increase
Dear [Decision Maker],
I'm writing to you today as a constituent who cares about the impact of tobacco not only on the physical health of Mississippians, but also, the fiscal health of our state. I hope I can count on your support this legislative session to increase the tobacco tax by $1.50. A significant increase is important in order to realize the benefits of improved health.
Increasing Mississippi's cigarette tax by $1.50 per pack would generate an estimated $166.8 million in much-needed revenue for the state, as well as:
* Reduce youth smoking by 16.9%.
* Prevent 22,800 kids under 18 from becoming adult smokers.
* Help 26,500 current adult smokers quit.
* Prevent 14,000 premature smoking-caused deaths.
* Provide $1.01 billion in long-term health care cost savings from adult and youth smoking declines.
* Reduce the number of smoking-affected pregnancies by 3,500 over a five-year period.
NOW is the time to increase the state cigarette tax by $1.50 per pack, with an equivalent tax on other tobacco products. Please support the $1.50 tobacco tax increase for the sake of Mississippi kids and your constituents.
[City, State ZIP]