Additional talking points on the issue if needed:
- Tobacco takes a tremendous toll on individuals and families.
- By supporting an increase in the cigarette tax by $1.60, and taxing other tobacco products, Pennsylvania can bring in over $400 million in new revenues.
- Because the tobacco industry can easily offset a low tax through coupons and discounts, it is important to pass a significant increase like $1.60.
- Increasing Pennsylvania’s
cigarette tax by $1.60 per pack would prevent
91,100 kids under 18 from becoming adult smokers and help 108,500
current adult smokers quit.
- Tobacco tax increases have bipartisan, public support. They will save lives, lower healthcare costs, and help balance the budget – which is why I support them too.